Re: Idea: mount /tmp to tmpfs depending on free space and RAM

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 01:04:50PM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
- a tmpfs is always easy to grow without requiring any special
 preparations.  Just add more swap.  The swap could be on different
 disks, and could even be files hosted on other file systems.

Yes, of course, now I’m not only wasting RAM for tmpfs but disk space for swap files?

Any file system will run out of space given the broken applications
mentioned in this thread.  tmpfs is the only one which will allow all

tmpfs will run out of space much ealier than your 2TB disk.

systems to dynamically add more space, only limited by the available
disks. That's why tmpfs should be the default for both new and old

ROTFL, yes, of course. I can get my tmpfs bigger than my disk to back it up. Sorry, this is ridiculous. If I have enough disks available I can grow my tmp partition (or my root partition with tmp) with LVM without problems as well.

Both things are nothing a standard desktop user can do by its own, but the standard desktop user will certainly have more disk space than RAM, so I’m glad this tmpfs for tmp crap is off by default.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |