Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

Guillem Jover writes ("Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support"):
> On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 13:19:17 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > One thing which no-one yet seems to have suggested is to have
> > multiarch:same packages put the changelog in a filename which is
> > distinct for each architecture.  (It wouldn't have to be the triplet;
> > the shorter Debian arch would do.)  Perhaps there are obvious reasons
> > (which I have missed) why this is a terrible idea, but it seems to me
> > that it's something we should consider.
>
> Instead of this, I'd rather see the shared files approach just dropped
> completely, and /usr/share/doc/ files for “Multi-Arch: same” packages
> be installed under /usr/share/doc/pkgname:arch/.

Right, that's kind of what I was suggesting although you've
generalised it.  It doesn't seem like an unreasonable idea to me.

Obviously it would mean that some (Debian-specific) software which
currently doesn't need to be multiarch-aware would need to be taught
about these new directory names.  But that seems like a reasonable
price to pay for solving the varying compressed shared files problem.

Another relevant question is whether there are other files that are
shared, and which don't want to move, besides ones in /usr/share/doc.
I haven't been following this in detail but if there are then we may
need to retain the possibility to have actually-identical shared
files.

Ian.