Re: Breaking programs because a not yet implemented solution exists in theory

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:

> Show us where mime-support is a required part in policy and then we can
> talk again.

Policy 9.7 currently says that it's a bug to not support mime-support:

    Packages which provide the ability to view/show/play, compose, edit or
    print MIME types should register themselves as such following the
    current MIME support policy.

and:

    In the normative part of this manual, the words must, should and may,
    and the adjectives required, recommended and optional, are used to
    distinguish the significance of the various guidelines in this policy
    document.  Packages that do not conform to the guidelines denoted by
    must (or required) will generally not be considered acceptable for the
    Debian distribution.  Non-conformance with guidelines denoted by
    should (or recommended) will generally be considered a bug, but will
    not necessarily render a package unsuitable for distribution.

So it depends on your definition of "required," I suppose.

Anyway, I think this discussion is painful and not likely to change
anyone's mind, whereas the necessary glue between desktop files and
mime-support looks like a couple of days of work.  I'm currently playing
with the idea of writing a spec and posting it to Planet Debian asking
someone with the skill and some free time to implement it.