Re: Contributor agreements and copyright assignment (was Re: Really, about udev, not init sytsems)

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 07:03:23PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 12/05/2012 06:15 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I understand that concern and recognize that this is a not-uncommon
> > sentiment among Debian folks; this very closely parallels the question of
> > whether one is willing to release software under a BSD license - or the MPL
> > - vs. the GPL.  But while some people do object to releasing their patches
> > under a BSD license, there's certainly room for BSD code in Debian.  The
> > same is true of GPL works with contributor agreements.  Yes, some folks will
> > choose not to contribute to it on upstream's terms, but there are still
> > plenty of others who will.
> I don't really want to go into the CLA debate (others have better
> things to share than me about it). But I think we all agree that,
> for some in Debian (I'm not talking about myself here), the Ubuntu
> CLA is (at least) annoying, to the point it has been mention in the
> init debate.

> So, my question to you Steve is: has this been discuss inside
> Canonical recently?

No.  The current CLA is the *result* of extensive discussions with the wider
Free Software community about how this should work.  It is not the goal to
create a CLA that makes every individual in Debian happy, and even if it
were that's not a realistic goal.  The terms of the agreement are not up for
discussion here.  Nor am I trying to convince people that they (or their
employers) should be happy with the CLA if they aren't.  I'm merely
advocating that people judge such agreements on their own merits.

As a technologist, I would certainly love it if everyone who might like to
contribute to upstart would be comfortable with the terms of doing so, but
unfortunately that's not going to be the case.  Even so, upstart remains a
viable project, and people don't have to be willing to contribute to it
themselves to reap the benefits of that.