Re: Really, about udev, not init sytsems

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 08:51:47PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 03:28:40PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/homepage.jsp?code=PC68KCF
> >
> > the most recent processor you can find there was released in January
> > 2012.
>
> Yeah, someone else posted this information already.
>
> How much are these instruction set compatible with the classical m68k
> processors? Would we be able to have an m68k port of Debian which runs
> both on the original m68k CPUs and the ColdFire series?

I looked into that when Freescale gave us some CF devel boards to do a
CF port in 2005 or thereabouts. This work was never finished (due in
part to the glibc TLS support that only materialized about two years
ago), but I do believe it should be possible. However, there was some
significant opposition from some kernel developers, and I seemed to be
the only one with the opinion that it should be possible, so I don't
think there will be a hybrid port any time soon.

--
Copyshops should do vouchers. So that next time some bureaucracy requires you
to mail a form in triplicate, you can mail it just once, add a voucher, and