Re: Contributor agreements and copyright assignment (was Re: Really, about udev, not init sytsems)

On Nov 30, 2012, at 09:14 AM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

>There's a significant difference whether your contractual counterpart is
>somebody who has the public good or profits in the pockets of its owners
>in mind.

In the abstract, the non-profit or for-profit status of an organization is
little indication of whether they Do Good or Do Evil (or both).

All I'm saying is that contributor agreements are a fact of FLOSS life, and
that I've had people refuse to assign copyright to the FSF for contributions
to my GNU projects.  When they've stated their principles for this refusal, I
can respect that even while I might try to convince them their concerns are
misplaced.

-Barry