Re: Gentoo guys starting a fork of udev

Ehmm...
------>
If you want to reduce the build time dependencies (though only dbus
and libcap are needed as build time deps) and you know the specific
component you are interested in doesn't need it, then create a dummy
.pc file for that dependency (i.e. basically empty), and configure
systemd with PKG_CONFIG_PATH set to the path of these dummy .pc files.
Then, build only the few bits you need with "make foobar", where
foobar is the file you need.
<------
Simply run "make udevd" and you're done.
You can also simply package both systemd and udev and put all udev
parts in a separate package and then install it, since there is no
dependency on systemd and related components by udev.
Also, quoting Lennart:
----->
Canonical's Martin Pitt is actually a commiter on the systemd git
tree.  He works on various things in the udev area. And since we value
his work it would be stupid of us to break things for him anytime
soon, so that Martin couldn't use systemd's udev anymore on Ubuntu.
<-----
So, well, what did you say about reading documentation? ;-)
You can also always ask Lennart or Kay, or anyone else if you have
questions, they will happily answer it.
Cheers,
    Matthias