Re: Gentoo guys starting a fork of udev

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 12:42:24PM +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Also, the people who write udev and systemd really know what they are
> doing, and especially systemd is documented perfectly well - everyone
> who does not feel comfortable with systemd should read at least the
> basic docs. (and then think again, and then probably dislike it on a
> basis of facts)

This is what I am constantly saying all the time. I always have the
feeling that everyone who is dismissing systemd simply didn't read the
documentation first.

> Also, systemd hasn't anything to do with udev, there is no systemd
> dependency in udev.

Correct. You can build udev completely without systemd [1].

> If you have some time for entertainment, you might want to read this
> thread on G+:
> https://plus.google.com/111049168280159033135/posts/R387kQb1zxc
> (GKH, Lennart, Kay and several others falsify every reason for a full
> udev fork (vs. just maintaining a small patch))

It should be mentioned in this context that GKH is actually one of the
original authors of udev [2] *and* he is actually a Gentoo developer
himself [3]. Yet he is dismissing the idea of a fork.

Even the claims of the Gentoo people about the separate /usr partition
are unjustified [4].

Cheers,

Adrian

--