Re: Mandatory -dbg packages

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 05:18:41PM +0200, Andrej N. Gritsenko wrote:
>     Hello!
>
> Stefano Rivera has written on Monday, 29 October, at 16:57:
> >Hi Tzafrir (2012.10.29_16:29:06_+0200)
> >> While clearing your throat, mind telling us how this works in Ubuntu
> >> with PPAs? What happens if you installed a package from a PPA and you
> >> want to generate a backtrace of a program that happens to use that
> >> package?
>
> >> 1. You'll get debug information for the package.
> >> 2. You won't get debug information for the package.
> >> 3. You may accidentally get debug information for a diffent version of
> >>    the package.
>
> >2. It'll tell you that there aren't any debug symbols available. (IIRC)
>
> >The -dbgsym packages are only generated in primary archive builds.
>
>     I'm sorry to disappoint you about the Ubuntu PPAs but look into my
> PPA - https://launchpad.net/~andrej-rep/+archive/ppa/+packages - to see
> all those dbg packages. And users were used them to give me feedback to
> bugs with full backtrace.

But if you followed the Ubuntu way, you wouldn't have generated a -dbg
package for it, right?
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/raring/pcmanfm
I see that the Ubuntu package still produces a -dbg package. I figure
that this is not what you would expect of an Ubuntu package.

Is it possible to change dh_strip's --dbg-package to produce (or not)
the dbg package in certain build conditions?

The closest thing I see to that is http://bugs.debian.org/510772 .

(I figure that there is also the issue of source-only uploads with
regards to this)

tzafrir@debian.org    |                    | friend