Re: [SUMMARY/PROPOSAL] Orphaning another maintainer's packages - goal

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 04:12:03PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 10/26/2012 01:09 PM, Bart Martens wrote:
> >I expect the cc to debian-qa to draw sufficient DD's attention.
> >And the ACKs are about agreeing on marking a package as orphaned.
> >That's the easy part. The salvaging part goes via the existing ITA
> >procedure. That's the hard part.
>
> Could anyone explain what broken thing we are trying to fix?
>
> - Is the current process of orphaning broken? (if so: why?)
> - Is there too many hijacks?
> - Not enough salvage?
>
> And more importantly:
> - What do you expect the new procedure will do? What's the goal?

People interested in salvaging an unmaintained package are discouraged by the
current procedures.  The new procedure is meant to add a lightweight procedure
to mark unmaintained packages as orphaned, so that anyone interested can adopt
them without needless delay.  Basically the goal is to increase speed in
getting packages salvaged.

> I have re-read Lucas Nussbaum original post, and I didn't find
> any information about the above.

Some aspects were discussed earlier in different threads than this one.

Regards,

Bart Martens