Re: Popularity of bzr-builddeb and dh-make

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 09:13:04AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
> > On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 01:02:59PM +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:

> >> Actually most users of pristine-tar in git don't have the *first* of
> >> these branches.  They usually have an upstream branch which is
> >> synthesized solely from importing tarballs using git import-orig.  In
> >> other words, the typical practice is to avoid sharing git history with
> >> the upstream VCS, which in turn works out very well for git-dch,
> >> because you don't get unnecessary upstream changes documented in
> >> debian/changelog.

> > This seems utterly broken to me and optimized for the wrong priority.

> It makes perfect sense if you're packaging software where upstream doesn't
> use a DVCS, which I'll point out is still the most common case.  :)

Upstream doesn't have to be using a DVCS for your DVCS to be able to import
their history (git and bzr both have bridges to a number of other VCS
sources).  Evidently my experience as a maintainer is not as typical as I
thought it was.  I find that having the entire history (upstream+packaging)
at my fingertips in a single place is *the* biggest multiplier for my
productivity, and when I don't have it (generally because the tools are
getting in my way), I feel its absence profoundly.