Re: mass bug filing about packages manipulating/deleting shipped files

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:10:02 +0200
Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:

> On 09/17/2012 12:49 PM, Philipp Kern wrote:
> >> Well, conffiles are sometimes modified due to the result of asking
> >> questions with debconf - at least the md5sum might change, although the
> >> content stays the same with debconf priority=high. Are you sure you
> >> didn't find such things?
> >
> > If you modify conffiles through debconf config scripts, your package is RC
> > buggy. See also [1].
>
> So we shall drop things like automatic configuration of postfix? It
> actually even asks the user if the config file should be modified. That
> is just one example of a lot others that jump into my mind.

Simple solution I use is to have a conffile which is a foo.conf.sample
and not package foo.conf which is generated in the postinst from the
debconf question and it is this file which is used by the package, not
the .sample. Otherwise, there's little point having debconf. The point
is not to modify / delete a file listed under dpkg -s or dpkg -L but
to create a new file based on content read from those files.

--

Neil Williams