Re: Gnome classic mode

On 09/11/2012 12:55 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Josselin Mouette writes ("Re: Gnome classic mode"):
>> Can we move on now? I don’t even understand how a *one-time warning*
>> explaining a user that his desktop will look different from what he
>> might obtain on another Debian machine can even be a serious topic of
>> discussion for debian-devel.
>
> We normally try quite hard to reduce the number of questions in the
> installer, naggy prompts, etc., to make it as easy as possible to get
> started with Debian.  If there is nothing wrong with the non-3D
> installation, and nothing the user can do about it, then surely a
> warning isn't appropriate.
>
> And a message that will be seen by a substantial proportion of
> Debian's new users is I think a perfectly good topic of conversation
> here.

I agree. I also would like to point out that current test builds of gnome live images have this
issue. So without further effort to make a live-specific fix for this issue (something we try to
avoid, as live images should reflect as closely as possible what someone sees when they install
Debian) every time the live image is booted they will see this image unless they happen to be using
persistence (which takes special effort by the user to set up, as it requires some place to write
the persistence data to be explicitly designated).

Ben