Re: CD1 without a network mirror isn't sufficient to install a full desktop environment

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 02:33:26PM -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On 9 September 2012 23:21, Ztatik Light <ztatik.light@gmail.com> wrote:
> > According to popcon, Xfce is more common on Debian than GNOME... And
>
> How do you figure that?
>
> http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=meta-gnome3
> http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=xfce4
>
> Just looking at popcon, GNOME is installed several more times as much
> as XFCE. Even gnome-shell has more installs than xfce4-panel despite
> GNOME Shell having not been included in a stable Debian release yet.

And exim has so much more installs than postfix, so it must be tremendously
better than the latter, right?  You're comparing a default option with a
non-default one, in such a case even 5-10% for the contender sends a strong
message.  Remember, most users (by count, ie what popcon measures) don't
really know any better than "enter, enter, enter" -- or rather, "click next,
next, next".

And it's not just new users: it's everyone who has no special reason to
choose another alternative over the default.  Years ago, I went with exim
as that was the default, and for a smallish mail server (~11 users) I feel
no urge to learn postfix or something -- as I understand, both have their
own strengths and problems, yet are roughly equivalent overall.

Popcon can be used to measure relative popularity of xfce vs kde vs
windowmaker vs lxde vs ..., but it can hardly tell you anything about gnome.

--
Copyright and patents were never about promoting culture and innovations;
from the very start they were legalized bribes to give the king some income