A modest proposal [Re: CD1 without a network mirror isn't sufficient to install a full desktop environment]

On Sep 10, 2012, at 11:08 AM, Karsten Merker wrote:

I do not think that making the default desktop environment
dependent on the type of the installation medium would be a good
idea; that would cause much confusion IMHO.

This was discussed years ago, but (with some trepidation) I'd like to bring it up again...

Why can't the user be allowed to choose the desktop environment she prefers (if any) at "tasksel" time?

If there is not any "preferred" DE, there's no need to clutter up CD-1 with packages that apply to only a single DE -- CD-1 would only need to provide a basic environment and could be kept small; maybe almost as small as the netinst CD.

If it makes sense to provide a separate CD for Gnome, KDE, xfce/ lxde... then let that be CD-2a (Gnome), CD-2b (KDE), CD-2c (xfce/ lxde)... but without the basic install stuff (it's already on CD-1), leaving more space for the DEs to grow into...

Just a thought...

Rick