Re: libfm and pcmanfm in debian

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 20:30:31 +0300
"Andrej N. Gritsenko" <andrej@rep.kiev.ua> wrote:

>The version libfm 0.1.17
> and pcmanfm 0.9.10 have few tens of critical bugs. Some of them are:

None of which appear to have been filed against the Debian packages. It
could be that no-one else has experienced such problems or the
problems do not affect Debian.

I've used LXDE from Debian on a couple of boxes without experiencing
critical bugs.

> Full list of bugs fixed since those versions will take pages of text so I
> didn't list all of them but just main categories.

There's plenty of room in the BTS to give full details in each bug
report. No need to detail the issues here - report bugs against the
Debian packages with all supporting details *if* the bugs can be
reproduced using Debian.

> And since pcmanfm is
> one of core components of LXDE to have lot of critical bugs in it is very
> bad thing you know.

Unreported bugs cannot be fixed. Bugs which are meant to affect the
versions of packages in a Debian stable release have to be demonstrated
in Debian before the package can be fixed in Debian.

>     The first stable versions 1.0 of both libfm and pcmanfm are released
> almost a month ago.

Debian has been in release freeze for over a month now. New upstream
releases are not included automatically during a release freeze. Each
change needs to be reviewed with respect to the current code in Debian
testing.

> Only 1 critical bug was discovered since 1.0~rc1 was
> released (what happened 2 months ago) so it's really stable and even well
> documented. And there are 15 important and normal bugs in the Debian bug
> tracker about pcmanfm, which are fixed already I believe.

There's no time to test a new upstream release in Debian. If the bugs
are reproducible in Debian, then the fixes should be backported to the
versions already in Debian testing.

>     To make inclusion of those obsolete versions info wheezy worse

How can something released *after* the freeze began be considered
obsolete?

> aren't supported by any of developers anymore and never will since there
> was too many fixes so backporting only one of them doesn't worth all that
> efforts.

Those issues which are deemed release critical by the Debian
maintainer / release team will have to be fixed.

>     Tell me, please, how I can achieve the inclusion of stable version of
> libfm/pcmanfm into next debian release? BTW, next release of Ubuntu will
> have 1.0 (or even 1.0.1) versions included. Why debian should not?

New upstream releases are not accepted into Debian testing during a
Debian release freeze. Specific fixes can be considered but there are
no RC bugs filed against either package in Debian currently. Show that
the bugs affect the Debian packages, file the bugs and work with the
maintainer(s) to fix the bugs.

--

Neil Williams