Re: Stuff from /bin, /sbin, /lib depending on /usr/lib libraries

On 08/31/2012 11:39 AM, Serge wrote:
> Many (most?) major successes in IT history were about inventing a good
> standard communication interface to do things. IBM PC was successful
> because it could be assembled from standard easily accessible components,
> and was easy to upgrade by just replacing those components with newer
> ones. That worked so good because there were standard interfaces for
> devices (ISA, PCI, AGP, etc).

This is quite off topic, but I don't think that's the reason. The reason why
the PC platform won was because both Comodore and Atari failed because
of stupid decisions. They were largely superior platforms at the time (both
software and hardware) though, and a way cheaper.

> I suggest:
> 1. Define (implicitly or explicitly) where we would allow to mount subroot
> filesystems from (that decision mainly affects /usr and partially /var,
> /home and others) and what tools are needed to do that.
> 2. Make sure that all the tools from #1 are on / partition.
> 3. Make sure that everything required for `root` user to login (and do basic
> stuff, i.e. move files, read logs and edit scripts) is on / partition.
> 4. Don't move anything else around — unless it fixes something,
> it will just add more bugs and more problems for users

You don't need to suggest that, it has been rules inside Debian for years,
and I believe (almost) everyone understands it.

It's just that some would like to change these rules, and others are
resisting.

Thomas