Re: Stuff from /bin, /sbin, /lib depending on /usr/lib libraries

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:
> On 30.08.2012 01:45, brian m. carlson wrote:

>> Upstream maintainers of various stuff also refuse to provide man pages.
>> Debian does not always do what upstream wants.

> Providing man pages (if written well) does provide value, shuffling bits
> around in the file system does not.

And yet, when we discussed this just a little bit ago, several people
asked to keep the distinction because, for them, it provides value.

This sort of argument (which I also do myself sometimes) is kind of
frustrating.  I understand what you mean: you believe the value provided
is not sufficient to warrant the effort.  I am even somewhat inclined to
agree with you.  But that's not what you're *saying*.  I think there's a
natural human tendency to feel like any moderation or weakening of a
position provides openings for people to disagree, so we end up
"tightening" the argument by making it more absolute, leaving out all the
wiggle room.  In the process, it often becomes inaccurate.

I think there's an open question on whether it's worth the effort to
support use cases for a separate /usr, but people aren't saying to keep
support for a separate /usr just out of meaningless consistency or because
they want other developers to waste time.