Re: Stuff from /bin, /sbin, /lib depending on /usr/lib libraries

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 01:02:39AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> On 30.08.2012 00:31, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> >
> > [Russ Allbery]
> >> All PAM modules are installed under /lib, because that's the path
> >> used by libpam to load them.  However, I don't think the vast
> >> majority of PAM modules could be considered critical for early boot
> >> or need to be usable without /usr mounted
> >
> > It seems pam already looks in both /lib/security and /lib/{triplet}/security.
> > Why not add /usr/lib/{triplet}/security to the mix?
>
> Imho moving pam modules around is just wasted (maintainer) time.
> A much more sensible approach is to just lift the /-vs-/usr restriction.
> The obvious way is to not use a separate /usr anymore or simply mount
> /usr via the initramfs.
>
> Wasn't there a patch for initramfs-tools floating around doing that?

I started looking into it while doing the /run-in-initramfs stuff
last year, but didn't get anything working at the time--initramfs-
tools needs refactoring to remove the assumption that only one
filesystem will be mounted, before we can mount /usr as well
(and also maybe /etc).  There was also the question about where
the information for mounting /usr should come from; IIRC at the
time we opted to use /etc/fstab from the rootfs, so that only the
location of the rootfs needs passing to the initramfs.

While I ran out of time back then for doing this (finishing my PhD),
it's definitely something I'd like as a release goal for jessie.  If
the initramfs-tools maintainers won't have time for it, I can
certainly look into this further.

Regards,
Roger

--