Re: About the media types text/x-php and text/x-php-source

On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 16:05 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> It doesn't break anything.
Well one should usually not add any "personal" interpretations to
standards,... because eventually this will cause troubles.

> If the goal is to read the file as text,
> then text/plain is fine.
Ah... I guess I over-read that :D I thought you were talking about e.g.
"text/x-php"...
text/plain is of course fine, as well as (for example)
application/octet-stream.

> You misread what I've said. text/javascript and text/ecmascript
> (which were used for execution -- this is what this RFC is about)
> are obsolete, but not text/plain.
Yep you're right,... I over-read that :D... but this thread goes about
text/x-php, which I still think would be wrong,... not about marking
them as text/plain.

> text/x-javascript could be used to, in order to provide information
> about the language, even though it is not standard (hence the "x-").
Yeah,.. could... but... I think adding a x- type for widespread use
should always be the last solution, sooner or later these may cause
troubles.
And if e.g. an email client is smart enough to know that
text/x-javascript is not to be executed but that it should use
JavaScript highlighting, then it can easily be smart enough, too, to
know that it shouldn't execute application/javascript per default, but
rather display it.

Cheers,
Chris.