modemmanager shouldn't recommend usb-modeswitch, but suggest it

Package: modemmanager
Version: 0.5.2.0-1

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
> Am 18.10.2011 21:16, schrieb Tollef Fog Heen:
>> ]] Didier Raboud
>

>> | usb-modeswitch being mostly useful for 3G USB dongles, I don't understand
>> | where you want the s/Recommends/Suggests/.
>>
>> modemmanager shouldn't recommend usb-modeswitch, but suggest it.
>>

> The problem then is, that users get failures which are extremely hard to
> debug. The hardware simply won't work for them and we don't have a good way to
> detect such cases and forward a error message to the user session asking them
> to install usb-modeswitch.

If that is the problem, then the current implementation seems more
like a workaround than a fix for this.

> As such type of 3G dongles are quite common, imho the recommends is justified.

There seem to be disagreement on this point. Moreover, users who
choose to not remove modem manager will also fall into this
hard-to-debug situation that you have described above. Let's track
this issue in a proper bugreport (BCC'ed submit@b.d.o).

--
regards,
    Reinhard