Re: [proposal] use xz compression for Debian package by default

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:11:02PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> People have worried about it, but I think the consensus from DebConf
>> is that we don't want to be hampered in our own development by
>> considering external users
>
>How are "external users" different from "users"?

Sorry, badly worded. People using debootstrap outside of Debian and
other distros or other expected places. Especially in hostile
environments - IIRC Solaris was mentioned as an example. While we like
these people to be able to use Debian's tools like debootstrap, it
should not be a priority for us to hand-hold them if that causes too
much trouble and effort.

< sladen> I actually stayed in a hotel and arrived to find a post-it
          note stuck to the mini-bar saying "Paul: This fridge and
          fittings are the correct way around and do not need altering"