Re: Enabling uscan to simply remove files from upstream source

On 12-08-23 at 12:27pm, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Jonas Smedegaard]
> > Format:
> >  http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/
> > Source: http://susy.oddbird.net/
> >   Repackaged, excluding non-DFSG licensed fonts and source-less
> >   JavaScript
> > Files-Excluded:
> >   docs/source/javascripts/jquery-1.7.1.min.js
> >   docs/source/javascripts/modernizr-2.5.3.min.js
> > Files-Excluded-comment: Exlude source-less JavaScript
>
> A file format in which a comment starts with "Files-Excluded-comment:"
> instead of, say, "#", is a file format I just can't get excited about.

This is valid DEP-5 syntax as well:

Format:
 http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/
Source: http://susy.oddbird.net/
  Repackaged, excluding non-DFSG licensed fonts and source-less
  JavaScript
# Exlude source-less JavaScript
Files-Excluded:
  docs/source/javascripts/jquery-1.7.1.min.js
  docs/source/javascripts/modernizr-2.5.3.min.js

Does that please you?

> Automating get-orig-source is a fine idea, but tying it to DEP-5 would
> be unfortunate.

Why?  Because it is better to have multiple independent machine-readable
formats?

Please note that adding a machine-readable header section does *not*
force you to rewrite the whole copyright file: You are free to add
non-machine-readable chunks below the machine-readable parts.

> And there is something to be said for the dpkg-source / debhelper
> style, in which each configuration parameter lives in its own tiny
> file (e.g., 'debian/source/format', 'debian/compat',
> 'debian/pyversions') rather than as fields of a larger file that is
> only tangentially related to the task at hand.

You mean that you prefer a separate file for this info?

What should be its name? What should be its syntax?

...and why start from scratch with this - or does something else already
exist, comparable to the work of DEP-5?

> Unrelated: when I've repacked tarballs, I add a file
> "README.Debian-tarball" to the top level source directory, explaining
> what I did.  Nobody ever suggested this to me, it just seems like
> common sense that information about the new tarball should be, well,
> in the new tarball.  Not just in the .diff.gz.  If you're going to
> generate the tarball with uscan, could you either generate a
> README.Debian-tarball in the new orig.tar.gz, or actually use that
> location for configuration in the first place?  (I'm not wedded to
> that filename, of course, but I do think it should be in the
> orig.tar.gz, and thus outside debian/.)

I also used to add a custom README.* file for some of "my" packages.

Nowadays such info is commonly put into README.source, which has grown
to be the common place to document unusual things in the package for
fellow developers e.g. doing NMUs.

Regards,

 - Jonas