Re: Enabling uscan to simply remove files from upstream source

[Jonas Smedegaard]
> Format:
>  http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/
> Source: http://susy.oddbird.net/
>   Repackaged, excluding non-DFSG licensed fonts and source-less
>   JavaScript
> Files-Excluded:
>   docs/source/javascripts/jquery-1.7.1.min.js
>   docs/source/javascripts/modernizr-2.5.3.min.js
> Files-Excluded-comment: Exlude source-less JavaScript

A file format in which a comment starts with "Files-Excluded-comment:"
instead of, say, "#", is a file format I just can't get excited about.
Automating get-orig-source is a fine idea, but tying it to DEP-5 would
be unfortunate.

And there is something to be said for the dpkg-source / debhelper
style, in which each configuration parameter lives in its own tiny file
(e.g., 'debian/source/format', 'debian/compat', 'debian/pyversions')
rather than as fields of a larger file that is only tangentially
related to the task at hand.

Unrelated: when I've repacked tarballs, I add a file
"README.Debian-tarball" to the top level source directory, explaining
what I did.  Nobody ever suggested this to me, it just seems like
common sense that information about the new tarball should be, well, in
the new tarball.  Not just in the .diff.gz.  If you're going to
generate the tarball with uscan, could you either generate a
README.Debian-tarball in the new orig.tar.gz, or actually use that
location for configuration in the first place?  (I'm not wedded to that
filename, of course, but I do think it should be in the orig.tar.gz,
and thus outside debian/.)

Peter