Re: Allowing multi-arch specs in depends line?

On 19/08/2012 09:05, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 03:09:46PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
>
>> I prepared a package for BOINC (http://boinc.berkeley.edu) with all the
>> dependencies for owners of CUDA-savvy NVidia cards to help installing the
>> libraries.  Since many scientific applications with BOINC only have 32bit
>> binaries, there are extra dependencies for the amd64 platform on the
>> respective 32bit variants.  This looked like
>> 	libcuda1-ia32 [amd64]|nvidia-current [amd64]
>> in the past and was just fine. But recently the nvidia drivers became
>> multiarched, so libcuda1-ia32 no longer exists.  A respective update built
>> nicely, but lintian complains:
>
>> E: boinc-nvidia-cuda: bad-provided-package-name libcuda1:i386
>
>> The package name is fine, it is even installed:
>
>> $ dpkg -l libcuda1* | egrep '^(ii|\|\|)' | awk '{print $2,$3,$4}'
>> Name Version Architecture
>> libcuda1:amd64 304.37-1 amd64
>> libcuda1:i386 304.37-1 i386
>
>> Is there another way to express the dependency? Or is this a lintian bug?
>> I found my specification rather intuitive.
>
> You may not use :$arch specifiers in dependencies for wheezy.  The squeeze
> package manager cannot parse such dependencies, so allowing them would make
> it impossible to upgrade to wheezy from squeeze.
>
> To work around this, you may need the help of the libcuda maintainers to
> provide suitable architecture-dependent packages, marked Multi-Arch:
> foreign, that you can depend on in place of using the :$arch suffix.

That might make sense if this sort of situation was common. If it were specific
to boinc-nvidia-cuda, I would think that boinc-nvidia-cuda should be split in a
manner similar to this:

Package: boinc-nvidia-cuda
Architecture: amd64 i386
Depends: boinc-nvidia-cuda-ia32 (= ${binary:Version}), libcuda1 | nvidia-current

Package: boinc-nvidia-cuda-ia32
Architecture: i386
Multi-Arch: foreign
Depends: libcuda1 | nvidia-current