Re: Debian Installer 7.0 Beta1 release

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 10:58:24 +0000, Sam Morris wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 20:16:32 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>
>> Le samedi 04 août 2012 à 18:28 +0100, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
>>> This is expected in the absence of 3D acceleration, which is not yet
>>> supported in qemu so far as I know.  VirtualBox is supposed to support
>>> it, but a standard installation presumably won't pull in the necessary
>>> paravirtual drivers in the guest.
>>
>> At least with squeeze, this used to work, so I don’t see why it
>> wouldn’t anymore.
>>
>> However I don’t know whether the vbox paravirtualized drivers are
>> whitelisted in gnome-session-check-accelerated.
>
> The string "Chromium" is not listed in
> /usr/share/gnome-session/hardware- compatibility, so the VirtualBox
> guest additions are neither white nor blacklisted. However, in my
> experience, gnome-shell 3.4 is unusable on VirtualBox. I filed a bug
> with the details at <https://www.virtualbox.org/
> ticket/9581>.
>
> In case it matters, I use Debian on two desktops, both inside VirtualBox
> VMs running on top of Windows 7 x64. Both systems have ATI graphics
> cards (one a Radeon HD 4980, and the other a Radeon HD 5850).
>
> OTOH, the software rendering in both the Fedora 17 and GNOME 3.4 Live
> CDs works perfectly inside VirtualBox (well, at least for a few minutes
> of testing). In both cases the renderer is reported as "Gallium 0.4 on
> llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)". However, these Live CDs do not include the
> VirtualBox guest additions, and I have no idea how to enable Gallium on
> Debian, so I can't test on my regular VM that has VirtualBox's regular
> 2d acceleration set up. If someone can point me in the right direction
> then I'll test it right now!

I figured it out. The instructions at <http://www.mesa3d.org/
llvmpipe.html> seem to work. I had some difficulty getting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to stick, however... setting it from a script in /etc/X11/
Xsession.d doesn't work as it's reset by the time I log in. Eventually I
logged in to a virtual console, set the variable, fired up X by hand and
ran gnome-shell. The result is very buggy. I don't know if that's because
mesa 8.0.4 (or one of its build dependencies) is too old, or whether
something is being built wrong.

--
Sam