Re: Debian Installer 7.0 Beta1 release

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 20:16:32 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le samedi 04 août 2012 à 18:28 +0100, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
>> This is expected in the absence of 3D acceleration, which is not yet
>> supported in qemu so far as I know.  VirtualBox is supposed to support
>> it, but a standard installation presumably won't pull in the necessary
>> paravirtual drivers in the guest.
>
> At least with squeeze, this used to work, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t
> anymore.
>
> However I don’t know whether the vbox paravirtualized drivers are
> whitelisted in gnome-session-check-accelerated.

The string "Chromium" is not listed in /usr/share/gnome-session/hardware-
compatibility, so the VirtualBox guest additions are neither white nor
blacklisted. However, in my experience, gnome-shell 3.4 is unusable on
VirtualBox. I filed a bug with the details at <https://www.virtualbox.org/
ticket/9581>.

In case it matters, I use Debian on two desktops, both inside VirtualBox
VMs running on top of Windows 7 x64. Both systems have ATI graphics cards
(one a Radeon HD 4980, and the other a Radeon HD 5850).

OTOH, the software rendering in both the Fedora 17 and GNOME 3.4 Live CDs
works perfectly inside VirtualBox (well, at least for a few minutes of
testing). In both cases the renderer is reported as "Gallium 0.4 on
llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)". However, these Live CDs do not include the
VirtualBox guest additions, and I have no idea how to enable Gallium on
Debian, so I can't test on my regular VM that has VirtualBox's regular 2d
acceleration set up. If someone can point me in the right direction then
I'll test it right now!

--
Sam