Re: How to proceed with switching packages on first CDs to xz?
Ansgar Burchardt <email@example.com> writes:
> My suggestion is to now switch the default compression for GNOME and KDE
> packages to xz using gnome-pkg-tools (pkg-kde-tools) and then either
> schedule binNMUs (only arch:any packages) or no-changes uploads (for
> arch:all or Multi-Arch). I would help with the latter if you agree me
> doing +build1 uploads that are not recorded in the VCS.
I prepared patches for cdbs (gnome.mk) and pkg-kde-tools to use xz
compression by default. This affects 286 (GNOME) resp. 204 (KDE)
source packages; all binaries are Priority: optional or extra.
Not all packages will be rebuilt before the release, so some might
change compression should they be updated later. As this does only
affect a subset of packages, I hope the release team is okay with this.
Once the patches are applied, I would like to start rebuilding a few
packages taken from the top of my earlier list:
OTHER (file bug report, upload to DELAYED/5):
I have indicated the space savings in kB, but they are mostly only for a
single binary built from the named source. The space savings are about
50 MB for the GNOME CD and over 32 MB for the KDE CD (more as each
source produces many binaries).
As mentioned I plan to do no-changes source uploads for arch:all and
Multi-Arch packages; arch:any should get a binNMU.
Once this first round of uploads is complete, we can take a look if we
need a bit more space or if this is already enough.