Re: tasksel: Default desktop: Gnome→Xfce

On 04.08.2012 00:03, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Arno Töll <arno@debian.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 03.08.2012 23:28, Michael Biebl wrote:
>>> Seriously, I'd just drop our CD1 installs and only provide a net-install
>>> image and a DVD image for desktop installations.
>>
>> Is there any serious survey how established DVD drives (and writers) are
>> these days? CD images might be obsolete some day, but we should be sure
>> (virtually) nobody notices once we drop it.

Maybe this wasn't entirely obvious. I didn't say to drop CD images
completely. Just that CD1 is no longer sufficient to provide a full
desktop environment installation and instead promote an alternative
installation image for desktop installations.

> I don't know about serious surveys, but flash drives are ubiquitous
> and have large storage. Some (many?) laptops don't have optical drives
> either. For D-I, I would pick the most common USB flash drive size
> (perhaps 2.0 GB) and target that.

That sounds like an interesting idea. Even if a default DVD-RW would
provide more space, having only 1 GB instead of 4.4 GB to download makes
a difference. 2.0 GB would even probably be enough to fit GNOME and KDE
(and maybe other alternatives) on that image.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?