Re: NEWS.Debian entries intended for developers - backwards-incompatible changes in Perl HTML::Tree (Fwd: apt-listchanges news for vinci)

Hi Henrique,

On 2012-07-15 20:29, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
Perl HTML::Tree 5 has backwards-incompatible interface changes.
Version 5.00-1 added a NEWS.Debian entry to warn about that. As the

migrated to testing and I upgraded my system. The operation was
interrupted with a prompt which requested my intervention (I use
apt-listchanges). I simply use Gnucash, and find this warning

package. The proportion of people with libhtml-tree-perl using the
package for development must be very small, and I don't think this
entry is worth the noise. On the other hand, it's not completely
worthless. Do we have guidance on NEWS.Debian usage, giving advice
for such situations?
If something that depends on libhtml-tree-perl starts malfunctioning right
after the upgrade, you will know what to blame.  So, it is marginally useful
even for users.

Yes, as I said, although the entry is not worded towards mere users.

Anyway, you use apt-listchanges, so IMHO you should expect to see a NEWS
item that doesn't interest you every now and then.

I expect to see NEWS items which do not concern me. In fact, most items do not, and I still took the decision of installing apt-listchanges, so that I notice the few items that do concern me. The time saved with relevant items can make up for the time wasted on those irrelevant. What I do not expect is to get more irrelevant news just because something was modularized. Modularity is great, but it shouldn't reduce usability.