Re: Recommends for metapackages

Noel David Torres Taño <envite@rolamasao.org> writes:

>> Well, in case of GNOME, upstream considers n-m to be part of the core
>> system, to the best of my knowledge. If upstream does so, so should we.
>
> No. That's why we have our own distribution instead of just a collection of
> unpatched packages compiled from source.
>
> Debian patches do not only include security or functionality bugs. They
> include also design bugs.

Yet, we try to not diverge much from upstream, and maintain a good
relationship with them. If they consider it core, so can we. Those who
want to hand-pick parts of a meta package, can do so, we do not forbid.

I do not see the problem: those who want the full platform, can get it
easily. Those who don't, and want to exclude some, they can do so easily
too. A bit more work, but hey, if you're going to cherry pick, that will
always involve more work.

The amount of extra work necessary is minimal though.