Re: Recommends for metapackages

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM, Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Ma, 10 iul 12, 22:38:59, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
>> On 2012-07-10 22:21, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>>
>> > but maybe package managers should gain a
>> > "Install-New-Recommends" option defaulting to true?
>             ^^^^^
>
>> Recommends are installed by default for quite a time already.
>
> Sure, but not new ones :)

Oh really?

Then please tell me what this code does:
http://anonscm.debian.org/loggerhead/apt/debian-sid/annotate/head:/apt-pkg/depcache.cc#L1103

(and yes, minus refactoring and bugfixing, this code is older than the
 switch to enable installation of recommends by default for lenny …)

Now, you might as well talk about other package managers, but if so,
please be specific so that a problem can be fixed rather than talked
about every two years in a thread about what should be installed by
default or not in a very unspecific "doesn't work at all" way.

It is enough if we talk in that style about the package in question,
we don't need to extend that style to everything else in the thread …
(I wouldn't mind if we would stop talking in that style at all, but I
 don't use n-m, so in that specific case, I don't care …)

Best regards

David Kalnischkies, who doesn't know whether to
laugh or cry about these kind of threads …