Re: Recommends for metapackages

On 2012-07-10 22:21, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 10 iul 12, 22:07:10, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> >
> > ... And I disagree with that. No solution can override policy's "all
> > Depends must be satisfied". If one choose to support the "exclude from
> > metapackage" one either has to change the policy, remove packages from
> > Depends or use non-stock metapackage (which I personally don't like).
>
> One solution proposed some time ago was to have package managers mark
> packages depended on as manually installed, whenever the user choses to
> uninstall only one package depended by meta-pacakge.

Which leads to

a) manual bookkeeping if I decide to remove rest of metapackage's
dependencies later;
b) if later the metapackage in the repository adds/removes dependencies,
it isn't reflected at all in my system.

> IMVHO Recommends makes more sense for packages that are not strictly
> required

Right, that's how they are defined in policy.

> but maybe package managers should gain a
> "Install-New-Recommends" option defaulting to true?

Recommends are installed by default for quite a time already.

C++ GNU/Linux developer, Debian Developer