Re: Future of update-rc.d in wheezy+1

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:58:09PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> On 27.06.2012 11:13, Roger Leigh wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to suggest that we do the following in sysv-rc update-rc.d:
> > - wheezy: silently drop start|stop sequence numbers and runlevels
> >   (this is already the case when using insserv, and we can remove the
> >   non-insserv codepaths)
> > - wheezy+1: warn if these options are used
> > - wheezy+2: remove support for the options and error out if used
>
> error out in dh_install or update-rc.d?

dh_install initially, since it only breaks builds rather than
upgrades.  Maybe even for wheezy+1.  I'll see about adding a
lintian check before that point though.

update-rc.d could just warn for wheezy+1, but won't actually
use the options for anything (start and stop can just be
synonymous with defaults), which will allow old scripts to
continue working.

> > And additionally, to add lintian warnings for use of these options,
> > including when using dh_installinit.
>
> All in all, sounds reasonable. Please go ahead with this.
> It is seriously annoying making up random sequence numbers just to
> please dh_install/update-rc.d.

I've added insserv support to file-rc this weekend, which was the
only thing still using the sequence numbers.  I'd like to get this
in wheezy, even though it's after the freeze, since it means there
will be zero users of the numbers in the wheezy->wheezy+1 upgrade,
which will allow us to disable them immediately after the release
of wheezy.  (#539591)

Regards,
Roger

--