Re: Improving our response to "duplicate" packages in Debian

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:18:49PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> I would go even 1 step further and seek from a perspective maintainer,
> especially a non-DD/DM, at least some assurance that it is not a
> fire-and-forget project for him (e.g. that he is using it extensively
> and planing to do so for the next X years) and that he is willing
> to put effort in proper maintenance of the package.  ITP -> 1 upload ->
> X NMUs -> O is not that uncommon.  IMHO if there is a strong personal
> motivation (i.e. active user) to get a package packaged, it might
> provide additional weight toward "accepting" the package to be part of
> Debian even if comparable alternatives exist.

Sadly even if you might be an active user in the beginning you might leave the
organization where you needed it.  Strong personal motivation helps pretty
much, but if you lose the environment, you might suddenly lack it completely.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern