Re: Improving our response to "duplicate" packages in Debian

Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org> writes:

> So, I propose our code of conduct when responding to "duplicate
> software" ITPs should be:
>
> - Don't immediately start complaining to the submitter of the ITP. Just let
>   the submitter devote his/her energy to packaging.

It's part of the job of a (prospective) package maintainer to advocate
for the package. That entails knowing how it compares to rivals for the
same function.

> - Research how many similar software packages are there actually in Debian

So this effort is the responsibility primarily of the person(s)
packaging the proposed work. Requests that they do that research are,
IMO, quite reasonable and should come as early as possible in the
process.

> - Go to the root of the problem: find out why upstream thinks they need to
>   write their software.

Again, contacting the upstream is a large part of the job of the package
maintainer.

This code of conduct you lay out is asking others to take responsibility
From the shoulders of the very people who, IMO, should have that
responsibility.

--
 \          “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without |
  `\      having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it |