Re: duplicates in the archive

]] Neil Williams

> Popcon indicates almost nothing - least of all popularity. The
> weaknesses of popcon for archive-related questions is well documented.
> It might give a hint but it is *not* a reliable indicator.

While it's not perfect, I'm not aware of any better tool we have.
Relying on hearsay about what people install is worse.

> 99% of the Debian machines I install have no means of communicating via
> popcon - ever. What's installed on those is completely invisible.

It does not matter how many machines are installed without popcon as
long as it is installed on a representative sample.  Whether that is the
case is open for debate, but unless and until somebody comes up with a
better tool and method than using popcon, that's what we have.

[...]

> Rubbish. Complete tosh.

You might want to reconsider your choice of words.  You're coming across
as quite hostile in this thread.

--
Tollef Fog Heen