duplicates in the archive

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:31:12 +0200
Arno Töll <arno@debian.org> wrote:

Dropping the bug CC.

> On 24.06.2012 19:15, Neil Williams wrote:
> > This bug is *not* useful to anyone. Please close it and find an
> > RC bug to close instead.
>
> I'm pretty sure this could be expressed in another tone. Especially
> since we welcome everyone (you know) and we have _no_ written rule what
> belongs into Debian and what not, and nobody who decides on that beyond
> legal issues.

This isn't about welcoming people, this is about keeping pointless
vanity packages out of the archive. We don't need absolute rules on
this but the whole point of ITP bugs being CC'd to this list is so that
people on this list get a chance to head off mistakes. Adding another
pointless alternative for packages which are already duplicated over
and over *is* a mistake.

Maybe the Developer Reference should be strengthened to require a check
against the existing archive as well as the WNPP list but, IMHO, that's
a bit of common sense which all maintainers and prospective maintainers
should be able to demonstrate. If you feel that's not common, feel free
to file a bug against the Developer Reference.

Whatever happens, there is no place for yet another duplicate of
packages which already have multiple duplicates in the archive.

There isn't even any point waiting for such packages to get RC bugs to
be able to remove them. Stop them getting in in the first place.

--

Neil Williams