Re: The future (or non-future) of ia32-libs

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 01:07:56PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> It has to be held back. But apt-get/aptitude might select a solution
> where they do get removed rather then hold back many other packages.
> I'm hoping it will be held back automatically without user intervention
> but that might not happen.
>
> I'm not aware that this will happen but I also haven't tested a squeeze
> -> wheezy upgrade with 32bit stuff installed. Experiece has just shown
> that on large upgrades packages are easily removed instead of held back
> and given the large number of updates involved users often miss a
> specific one being listed.

You don't need to go between releases: every time gcc-4.7 or eglibc get
updated, apt wants to remove whole architectures which didn't build these
packages yet.

Having it hold in such a case would be nice.

--
I was born an ugly, dumb and work-loving child, then an evil midwife
replaced me in the crib.