Re: The future (or non-future) of ia32-libs

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> On 06/22/2012 05:34 PM, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Step 1: upgrade/dist-upgrade with ia32-libs (wine, ...) held back
>> Step 2: dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt-get update
>> Step 3: dist-upgrade (ia32-libs, wine, ... is now installable)
>>
> May I suggest that upon upgrade, we have a debconf message telling
> about it? We could add this in base-files or any essential package,
> probably one with some debconf messages already in would be a better
> pick. Instructions would show, IF ia32-libs old version is currently
> installed
> AND the --add-architecture i386 hasn't bee done.
>
> I know we have release notes, but some don't know about them or would
> simply not read them. A debconf message seem really appropriate IMO.
> Something along with:

Problem is that frontends will complain about ia32-libs being not
upgradable and might suggest removing it instead of keeping it back way
before that. At the time base-file is upgraded ia32-libs and all other
32bit stuff might already have been removed.

>> It appears that you have an old version of ia32-libs installed in your
>> system. Debian now supports multi-arch, and the new version of
>> ia32-libs (a transitional package) uses and needs this new feature.
>> .
>> In order to upgrade the version of ia32-libs in your system, you will
>> need to do:
>>    dpkg --add-architecture i386
>>    apt-get update
>>    apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>> Until you do this, upgrades of ia32-libs and packages depending on
>> it (wine, other examples, etc.) will not be possible. More information
>> about this available at: https://wiki.debian.org/<please-fill>
>
> I'm ok to contribute a small patch doing this.
> Thoughts? Any English guy to propose a better wording?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas

I don't think that would be of much help but feel free to try it out
with some real squeeze -> wheezy upgrades and see if you see the message
before ia32-libs get removed.

MfG
        Goswin