Re: The future (or non-future) of ia32-libs

On Sat, June 23, 2012 08:25, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:
>> On 06/23/2012 02:48 AM, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>>> The helpfull error messages and holding back packages would have to be
>>> ported to stable apt/aptitude to be any use for upgrades. And only
>>> people updating to the latest stable point release would benefit from
>>> it.
>
>> Unfortunately, we never require that our users upgrade to the latest
>> point release before upgrading to stable+1. So it would be nice to have
>> this feature in a stable update, but this can't be a definitive
>> solution.
>
> We've frequently required users to upgrade specific packages to newer
> versions prior to the general dist-upgrade to resolve various issues, such
> as for the udev transition.

What I've seen in RHEL is that packages like up2date or yum are always
sorted to be upgraded first, and then immediately reload themselves before
they continue with the rest of the to be upgraded packages.

Perhaps this could be something for dpkg and apt - currently if you do not
take precautions you're performing big upgrades with the apt from a few
years back, while you may want to use the newest features, insights (and
bugs) straight away.

Cheers,
Thijs