[DEP 8] Re: Is it possible to run autopkgtest without a virtual machine ?

Le Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:02:04AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :

> I think test should be run in a container (or VM) but never the local
> system itself. The absolute minimum would be a chroot but a container
> would give better control over things like networking.

Hello Goswin

For networking, how about a "needs-networking" restriction ?

For protecting the user from side effects of runnign the tests, there is the
Restrictions field where one can declare that tests can break the system.
Perhaps a milder restriction could be added, for tests that can disturb the
system (such as restarting services, etc.), so that other tests can be
considered safe for local execution.  A large number of regression tests that I
know are completely safe, like checking that 2 + 2 returns 4, with of course
the limitation that running them exposes to the same possible bugs as for using
the program in other contexts.

I think that it would be a great feature to be able to run such tests locally
with a simple command that can take advantage of autopkgtest.  This means also
shipping them in a binary package, but we have already such packages containing
exactly the test data that is needed.

Have a nice day

--
Charles Plessy