Is it possible to run autopkgtest without a virtual machine ?

Dear all,

I think that the idea behind autopkgtest (DEP 8) is very interesting, and could
eventually replace build-time regression tests.  To train myself, I tried to
implement simple tests for the tabix package.

However, adt-run needs a virtual machine.  I know that some developers have
some workarounds, but couldn't autopkgtest also support running tests on the local
system ?  This would be tremendously useful when the tests can be contained in
the binary packages, as it would make it very easy for our users and ourselves
to test the packages.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy