Re: Report from the Bug Squashing Party in Salzburg

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:55:28PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Jun 2012, Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:
> > > Seriously, thats all fine stuff, but if having a hangout with 10+
> > > people on google+ helps Debian to get the bugs squashed, I can't see a
> > > reason why we should not use it. It is much more pain free to use than
> > > any other solution we have in Debian.
> >
> > One might make such claims about any proprietary product.
> >
> > What features does Google+ offer that you believe to be lacking in free
> > software packaged for Debian?  What do you think is the easiest way to
> > fix this problem?
>
> This is getting completely ridiculous.
>
> Indeed, one can setup and run their own IRC server, because it is free
> software.

We have the choice to do that.  If there was a problem with IRC clients not
working correctly then setting up a test IRC server to debug the problem would
be a good option.  Also as IRC is an open protocol there are a number of
clients to choose from so when (not if) a client doesn't do something you
require there are options.

> Nevertheless, in practice if you want to work on Debian, you connect to an
> already-running ircd on the oftc network. (You could spend time setting up
> and running an ircd, then convince people to connect to it, but perhaps
> that's time better spent *working on Debian*).

Actually I've run an IRC server on a private network for a free software
hacking event in the past.

One thing I've idly considered is running an IRC server at LUG meetings to
coordinate questions for the speaker.  I'm not sure how well that would work,
but as I can run my own IRC server I have the option of trying it out.
Google+ over a slow 3G connection probably wouldn't work.

> Likewise, those who find IRC hostile, confusing or simply unproductive,
> could connect to the already running Google+ what-have-you, using an open
> source browser if one so wishes.  If it works for them.

I've found Google+ confusing and unproductive.  I played with it for a while
but didn't discover anything useful apart from a news feed that was a bit like
twitter but with an allowance of more than 140 characters.

Personally I prefer Jabber.  You have the option of using Google's Jabber
service (everyone with a Gmail account has access) or your own Jabber server.