Re: Report from the Bug Squashing Party in Salzburg

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:55:28PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012, Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:
> > Seriously, thats all fine stuff, but if having a hangout with 10+ people
> > on google+ helps Debian to get the bugs squashed, I can't see a reason
> > why we should not use it. It is much more pain free to use than any
> > other solution we have in Debian.
>
> One might make such claims about any proprietary product.
>
> What features does Google+ offer that you believe to be lacking in free
> software packaged for Debian?  What do you think is the easiest way to fix
> this problem?

This is getting completely ridiculous.

Indeed, one can setup and run their own IRC server, because it is free
software.

Nevertheless, in practice if you want to work on Debian, you connect to an
already-running ircd on the oftc network. (You could spend time setting up
and running an ircd, then convince people to connect to it, but perhaps
that's time better spent *working on Debian*).

Not everyone has the freedom to login, reconfigure, recompile or otherwise
monkey with the running OFTC servers, despite them being powered by free
software.

Likewise, those who find IRC hostile, confusing or simply unproductive,
could connect to the already running Google+ what-have-you, using an open
source browser if one so wishes.  If it works for them.