Re: Idea: mount /tmp to tmpfs depending on free space and RAM

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:21:40PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> /tmp is for temporary files, so I expect my /tmp to hold all these
> files, in my case DVD ISO images (downloaded or localy generated)
> that I will burn and then delete. So my /tmp is at least 20GB.
> BluRay users may need more.

If you assume an unexpected reboot, then all that data will be lost, forcing
you to redownload these images. Couldn't /var/tmp serve this purpose better,
if it's not exactly ephemeral data? (Like a temporary ISO created from on-disk
content.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern