Re: Idea: mount /tmp to tmpfs depending on free space and RAM

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 02:19:53PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
In general your option assumes that you need the maximum amount of free
space in /tmp. That is simply not true. In most cases a small /tmp is
just peachy. Because of this it is hard to set a minimum size where
tmpfs would be too small to be usefull. For some user that would be
100MB, for others it is 100GB.

/tmp is for temporary files, so I expect my /tmp to hold all these files, in my case DVD ISO images (downloaded or localy generated) that I will burn and then delete. So my /tmp is at least 20GB. BluRay users may need more.

If this is not the meaning of /tmp, then rename it.

Diskspace is cheap and easier to spare than my RAM. So, yes, if someone has one 3TB partition which is writeable, then /tmp belongs to disk not to RAM.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |