May be ITP: mime-support-extra to close #658139 (Was: Breaking programs because a not yet implemented solution exists in theory)

Hi,

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 03:16:08PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> I'm also not seeing GNOME applications as file type handlers in
> Akregator (KDE application).  So I'm not sure this is even 'just' a
> problem for text-mode applications.

I have no idea whether the solution proposed below could help here:  I
just injected

   svn://svn.debian.org/collab-maint/deb-maint/mime-support-extra

which would bring back mime support for evince for all applications I'm
using.  (I was too bored to always update a local evince package which
works.)  It is *very* simple and does not implement all those nifty
suggestions given here but not yet implemented.

I see two options to go from here:

  1. I just keep this package as a private solution.
  2. I upload the package to unstable by
      a) issuing a new ITP
      b) turning #658139 into ITP: mime-support-extra

I have no idea what makes the best sense and whether ftpmaster would
accept such a package (I'm not even sure whether I in the position of
ftpmaster would accept this).  I'd regard it as a too simple but helpful
workaround for a problem which should be solved differently.

In any case the idea is to collect issues of broken mime support where
maintainers are unable / not willing to respect Debian policy 9.7.
Adding more entries is simple:  Just add the according mime file as
<pkg>.mime and add <pkg> to "Enhances" in debian/control.

What do you think?

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--