Re: Breaking programs because a not yet implemented solution exists in theory (Was: Bug#658139: evince: missing mime entry)
- To: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Breaking programs because a not yet implemented solution exists in theory (Was: Bug#658139: evince: missing mime entry)
- From: Andreas Tille <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 15:30:20 +0200
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20120502133020.GC21000@an3as.eu>
- In-reply-to: <20120218154410.GA22496@rivendell.home.ouaza.com>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <4F2839A3.email@example.com> <20120131205154.GC7500@an3as.eu> <1328084986.9702.160.camel@pi0307572> <20120218154410.GA22496@rivendell.home.ouaza.com>
I just would like to warm up this thread a bit because I wonder if a
solution would be found in time for Wheezy release. It seems nobody
really seems to care about those suggested scripts and we are breaking a
certain amount of programs if mailcap entries are dropped without any
replacement. I wonder whether the severity of "important" is to weak to
reflect this. Several people in this thread expressed their annoyance
about this but nothing has happened so far. If nobody works on
automatic scripts (which are hard to write as Russ expressed here
because mailcap has features not implemented in freedesktop.org) should
we try something else to not spoil the wheezy user experience of terminal
On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 04:44:10PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Le mardi 31 janvier 2012 à 21:51 +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> > > I agree that an automatic solution would be prefered. However, as long
> > > as such someone does not stand up and write such a program removing
> > > existing solutions is <feel free to insert any word which fits>.
> > The point is, no one will write such a program until we remove support
> > for the old system entirely.
> FWIW, it looks like Josselin suggested this in #497779 more than 3 years
> ago already.
> So he certainly tried something else before simply removing the mailcap
> file. I pinged the mime support maintainer, pointing to Russ' mail
> explaining how to generate mailcap entries out of the desktop files.
> Hopefully this will help since he seemed interested into supporting this.
> Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer
> Pre-order a copy of the Debian Administrator's Handbook and help
> liberate it: http://debian-handbook.info/liberation/
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120218154410.GA22496@rivendell.home.ouaza.com