Re: Orphaning php-codesniffer, then take it over by the PHP PEAR team

On 12-05-31 at 10:06am, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 06:03:05PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > There is no excuse for hijacking a package, ever.
>
> Hmm, this arguing sounds quite German to me.  Rules are rules are
> rules and you should not disregard them.  So a German will wait in
> front of a red traffic light even if there is no visible sign of any
> car and no sound that might give some signal for any traffic.  When I
> was abroad I enjoyed the habit of other nations just to know when
> breaking a rule makes perfectly sense.  I also think that some common
> sense could be applied in very obvious cases and this discussion shows
> that several respected people do agree that there are cases like this
> where there actually is an excuse for hijacking a package.

I am danish, not german, and I wait at traffic lights, also at night.

...or sometimes I do. Pretty often I cross at red light, but am then
prefectly aware that I break the rules, and I take eventual punishment
for that [with a smile].

You can have _reasons_ for hijacking, but no reason is an excuse: It is
never ok to hijack.

Hijack is takeover without either explicit approval or community
consensus.  Following a community approved procedure for takeover
without the explicit consent of the former maintainer it is not
hijacking.

Are we both talking about same meaning of "hijacking" and "excuse"?

 - Jonas

[with a smile]: I also break the rules when abroad, and have fould that
especially in USA my smiling risk escalating matters - the policemen get
confused when I smile while they write a fine or [just a warning].

[just a warning]: A month ago I drove on a bike on the sidewalk in
Brooklyn and nearly ran down three policemen standing at a corner.
Surprisingly they only gave me a warning - I had expected a fine then.
Thanks to Daniel Kahn Gilmore for lending me the bike!